Homes For Veterans Mission Statement:
Homes for Veterans is a 501(c) (3) organization. We build and donate homes for disabled veterans who lost the ability to be freely mobile due to war injuries. Disabled veterans that have their own homes we will renovate the home for barrier free living at no cost. Building specially adapted homes to accommodate their combat inflicted disabilities is accomplished through donations from Americans that want to show their appreciation for the service those brave soldiers gave to our country.
Homes for Veterans Barrier Free Living For Disabled and Handicapped Veterans
A person that uses a wheelchair is not handicapped by his or her condition, but because the building and surroundings are not as accessible as they should be. The extent of the handicap relates to accessibility, and a person can be very independent if the housing was built with more accessible, universal features that meet a broader range of needs.
A barrier-free house must have special built-in features besides the fixtures, such as:
- Adapted appliance switches to match wheelchair’s height
- Clear path from the house to the garage
- Large door handles made of stainless steel, grab bar type
- Large turning radius for wheelchair use inside the bathrooms
- Lower cabinet heights in the kitchen and bathrooms
- Lower height vanities in the bathrooms
- Lower window heights
- Raised electrical outlets for easy reach
- Ramps and grab bars as needed
- Recessed sliding door tracks
- Sliding doors in cabinets, closets and storage areas
- Wide doors and thresholds, double doors
This information is provided to you by Home For Veterans, a New Jersey non profit organization who is dedicated to building specially designed homes for men and women of our Armed Forces who have became disabled fighting for our freedom. With their various disabilities, Homes For Veterans can allow them to now live independently, live their lives and raise a family.